Chuck Forer has been practicing civil and commercial litigation for more than 30 years. He has represented a variety of companies, organizations and individuals, including pharmaceutical companies, drug wholesalers, surety companies, insurers, condominium unit owner associations, and synagogues. He has prosecuted and defended a wide variety of cases, in state and federal courts in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, including fraud, breach of warranty and contract, products liability, partnership, real estate, business, construction, surety, indemnity and guaranty, and condominium disputes. After graduation from law school, Chuck was a law clerk to the Honorable Joseph S. Lord III, Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
As an arbitrator and mediator, Chuck has efficiently resolved hundreds of business, personal injury, employment, commercial, real estate, landlord-tenant, and franchise disputes, ranging from small claims disputes to multi-million dollar disputes. Chuck also regularly counsels businesses, lawyers, nonprofit organizations, and individuals regarding the effective use of alternative dispute resolution.
- Arbitrator in Nordetek Environmental, Inc. v. RDP Technologies, Inc., 862 F. Supp. 2d 406 (E.D. Pa. 2012) (denying motion to enjoin arbitration).
- Counsel for defendants on motion to compel arbitration in Joseph Fede v. Mid Atlantic Financial, L.L.C., Mid Atlantic Merger, L.L.C., and William R. Schantz, III, Docket No. BUR-C-041-12 (Chanc. Div. May 31, 2012).
- Counsel for petitioner on petition to vacate arbitration award in Saladworks, LLC v. Siracusano, No. 1338, 2011 Phila. Ct. Com. Pl. LEXIS 294 (C.P. Phila. Commerce Program July 5, 2011), aff’d mem., 50 A.3d 236 (Pa. Super. 2012), allocatur denied, 56 A.3d 257 (Pa. 2012).
- Arbitrator in In re Nat’l Financial Partners Corp., Misc. No. 09-mc-00027-JF, 2009 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 34440 (E.D. Pa. April 21, 2009) (prehearing orders upheld on appeal);
- Arbitrator in In re Nat’l Financial Partners Corp., Misc. No. 09-mc-00027-JF, 2009 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 55799 (E.D. Pa. Mar. 16, 2009) (prehearing orders upheld on appeal);
- Arbitrator in Gargano v. Terminix Int’l Co., 2001 PA Super 282, 784 A.2d 188 (2001) (award upheld on appeal).
Alternate Dispute Resolution
J.D., University of Pennsylvania Law School, 1980, cum laude, Order of the Coif, Editor of the University of Pennsylvania Law Review
A.B., Vassar College, 1976, cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
U.S. Supreme Court
Arbitrator, CPR [International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution] Panels of Distinguished Neutrals – Philadelphia and Franchise panelsFormer President of Main Line Reform Temple, Wynnewood, Pennsylvania, one of the largest Reform synagogues in Pennsylvania (2008 to 2010). Formerly Vice President (2006-2008) and Treasurer (2004-2006).
Philadelphia Bar Association – chairperson of the Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee, 1999-2002; chairperson of the Fee Disputes Committee, 2004-2007. Drafter of the Philadelphia Bar Association Lawyer Fee Dispute Program Mediation and Arbitration Rules (1999) and Fee Disputes Committee Mediation Program Rules (1998).
American Arbitration Association, Commercial Panel of arbitrators.
Member of the American Arbitration Association, Panel of mediators.
Arbitrator, Automobile Industry Special Binding Arbitration Program under Section 747 of the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2010, Public Law 111.117, 123 Stat. 3034 (2009).
Arbitrator, The International Commission on Holocaust Era Insurance Claims Appeals Tribunal.
Mediator, Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas Commerce Program.
Mediator, Greater Philadelphia Association of Realtors.
Mediator, Montgomery County Association of Realtors.
Mediator and arbitrator, Philadelphia Bar Association, Fee Disputes Committee.
Special Judge Pro Tempore, Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas Day Forward Case Management Program.
Federal mediator, appointed in 1996 by The Honorable Norma L. Shapiro, in the class action lawsuit Velez v. Chester Housing Authority, Civil Action No. 90-6449 (E.D. Pa.).
Selected for inclusion in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers
Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America in the practice area of Arbitration, 2011, 2012 and 2013.
Winner of the Whitney Award for Undergraduate Teaching in the Affiliated Faculty of The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania – 2012.
- "Can Judgment on Your Arbitration Award Be Entered in Court?" The Legal Intelligencer, May 2013.
- “Can Sanctions Be Applied for Bad Faith in Court-Ordered Mediation?” The Legal Intelligencer, March 2013.
- “Discovery in Arbitration Proceedings,” LJN’s Franchising Business & Law Alert, March 2013.
- “Making Them Pay For It – The Dashed Promise of Arbitration Fee-Shifting,” Upon Further Review, a publication of the Philadelphia Bar Association, January 24, 2013
- "Arbitrator Unavailability During Arbitration Proceedings," The Legal Intelligencer, January 2013.
- “Getting Away With Fraud During the Mediation Process,” The Legal Intelligencer, November 2012.
- “Sandy Koufax, Mediation and Working With Experts,” The Legal Intelligencer, September 2012.
- "Having Your Cake and Eating It, Too: Illusory Arbitration Agreements," The Legal Intelligencer, May 2012.
- “When Can You Seek to Vacate an Arbitration Award Tainted by Fraud?” The Legal Intelligencer, March 2012.
- "Silence or No Silence in an Arbitration Award," Upon Further Review, a publication of the Philadelphia Bar Association, March 15, 2012.
- “When Can You Seek to Vacate an Arbitration Award?” The Legal Intelligencer, January 2012.
- "The Risks of Insisting on a 'Reasoned' Award in Arbitration," The Legal Intelligencer, November 2011.
- “Arbitration Administration Rules Provisions – Watch Out!” The Legal Intelligencer, September 2011.
- "The Role of Pre-Hearing Security in Arbitration," The Legal Intelligencer, July 2011.
- " The Risk of Throwing in the Towel in Mediation," The Legal Intelligencer, May 2011.
- "Problems with an Ineffective Arbitrator,” Upon Further Review, a publication of the Philadelphia Bar Association, May 2011.
- "Problems With Mediation, Counterclaims and Conditions Precedent," The Legal Intelligencer, March 2011.
- “Does Seeking Interim Relief Waive the Right to Arbitrate?” Upon Further Review, a publication of the Philadelphia Bar Association, January 2011.
- "When Arbitrators Are Appointed by Parties, Watch Out for Pitfalls," The Legal Intelligencer, November 2010.
- “What Triggers the Appeal Period in Arbitration?” The Legal Intelligencer, September 2010.
- “Depositions in Arbitration,” The Legal Intelligencer, July 2010.
- "3rd Circuit Has Clear Rule on Pre-Hearing Discovery in Arbitration," The Legal Intelligencer, May 2010.
- “The risk of appealing an arbitration award,” Eckert Seamans’ Legal Update, Spring 2010
- “To Avoid Arbitrator Conflict of Interest Finding, Disclose All Relationships,” The Legal Intelligencer, March 2010.
- "The Risk of Appealing an Arbitration Award," The Legal Intelligencer, December 2009.
- “Seeking Summary Judgment in Arbitration Proceedings,” The Legal Intelligencer, October 2009.
- “How Soon Do You Want Your Arbitration Award?,” The Legal Intelligencer, August 2009.
- “Documenting your Client’s Decision to go to Binding Arbitration,” The Legal Intelligencer, June 2009.
- “Going to Court at the Right Time after Arbitration Findings,” The Legal Intelligencer, April 2009.
- “Arbitration Witness Preparation When It Counts,” The Legal Intelligencer, December 2008.
- “Filing a Timely Petition to Vacate an Arbitration Award,” The Legal Intelligencer, October 2008.
- “Keeping Arbitration Opinions Confidential,” The Legal Intelligencer, August 2008.
- “Persuading Non-Parties to Agree to Arbitration,” The Legal Intelligencer, June 2008.
- “Ensuring a Timely Appeal from an Arbitration Award,” The Legal Intelligencer, April 2008.
- “Using Experts after Mediation Ends,” The Legal Intelligencer, March 2008.
- “Pitfalls of Arbitration Agreements,” presented at the Chester County Bar Association Spring Bench Bar conference, March 2013.
- Visiting lecturer in the Department of Legal Studies and Business Ethics of The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.