Michael Wessell has a broad range of experience in corporate and transactional matters, with emphasis on mergers and acquisitions, securities offerings, debt and equity financings, hospitality law, corporate governance and general corporate matters. He has represented public and private companies, as well as strategic investors, with respect to deal structure and strategy, preparation and negotiation of transaction documents, financing issues and due diligence matters.
- Represented private owners of a testing laboratory business and a land surveying business of the sale of stock of one and the assets of the other with a combined transaction value of over $15 million;
- Represented health care subsidiary of multinational corporation in the sale of operating plant and assets to another multinational corporation in a $40,000,000 transaction;
- Managed over two dozen attorneys and professional consultants in a three week accelerated due diligence and bid proposal process for $2 billion private equity fund for purchase of large integrated steel manufacturer operating under Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code;
- Supervised diligence team for client in multiple locations throughout the United States and foreign locations in connection with $1 billion plus merger and assisted in preparation of acquisition documents and prepared anti-trust filings;
- Represented a national internet retailer of furniture and home furnishings products and accessories in general counsel capacity, including coordinating all legal work for client, including corporate governance, equity investments, strategic alliances and employee matters, and sale of client to another national internet furniture and home furnishings retailer;
- Represented a private company designing and manufacturing load balancing and secure transaction accelerator products for secure internet-based applications, in its acquisition by a publicly-traded company that designs, develops and manufactures a complete line of internet security solutions with a transaction value of approximately $280 million;
- Represented U.S. and foreign owners in an auction and sale of a leading manufacturer of industrial pumps to a publicly traded industrial conglomerate corporation with a value in excess of $20 million;
- Represented a leading manufacturer of railroad axles and wheel assemblies by providing general corporate and antitrust compliance advice, including commercial contract preparation and negotiation, corporate antitrust compliance, corporate governance issues, advice on relationships with suppliers, customers and competitors and advice with respect to joint ventures and strategic alliances.
Corporate and Financial Transactions
Mergers and Acquisitions
J.D., University of Pittsburgh School of Law, 1991
B.S., Allegheny College, 1988
Greater Pittsburgh Arts Council, Director of regional non-profit arts advocacy and service organization
American Red Cross Southwestern Pennsylvania Chapter, Former General Counsel to the Board of Directors
United Way of Allegheny County Young Leaders Group, Member, former member of Steering Committee