Member, Board of Directors, Chair of the Professional Liability Group
|Two Liberty Place|
50 South 16th Street, 22nd Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19102
Peter Hoffman focuses his practice on professional liability matters. He was a shareholder in the firm McKissock & Hoffman, P.C. Peter is an appointee to the Pennsylvania Supreme Court Civil Procedural Rules Committee. He is also an Adjunct Professor of Law at the Drexel University Earle Mack School of Law, and has written and co-authored numerous articles and chapters in textbooks.
Handles complex cases such as antitrust, securities, class action, creditors’ rights, commercial litigation, intellectual property, catastrophic injuries, ERISA and real estate litigation;
Practices before a number of administrative agencies including the Insurance Department and Medical Board;
Devotes a substantial portion of his practice to professional liability, primarily medical malpractice and legal malpractice, commercial litigation, construction, products liability, toxic torts and insurance coverage.
Alternate Dispute Resolution
Class Action Litigation
Food Liability Litigation
Trucking and Logistics
J.D., Temple University School of Law, 1974, cum laude
M.A. in Public Affairs, State University of New York, 1968
B.A., Washington and Jefferson College, 1967
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and American Bar Associations
Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, appointed to the Civil Procedural Rules Committee
Pennsylvania Defense Institute (Past President)
Pennsylvania Senate Select Committee on Medical Malpractice
American College of Trial Lawyers (ACTL)
American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA)
American Hospital Association
American Society of Law, Medicine & Ethics
Defense Research Institute
Temple Inn of Court
Governor's Task Force on Medical Malpractice
Hearing Committee for the Disciplinary Board of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
International Academy of Trial Lawyers (IATL)
1989 Fred H. Sievert Outstanding Defense Bar Leader Award
Selected for inclusion in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers
Selected for inclusion in the “Top One Hundred” attorneys in Pennsylvania
Selected for inclusion in the “Top Ten” lawyers in Pennsylvania
Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America
- Contributing author to Eckert Seamans’ 2012 Professional Liability Update, January 2012.
- “Developments in Civil Litigation - Latest Hits and Golden Oldies,” co-presented with Gerald A. McHugh, Jr. of Raynes McCarty, at the Pennsylvania Conference of State Trial Judges, February 23, 2012.
- “Civil Litigation Update,” course planner and speaker for the Pennsylvania Bar Institute, February 16, 2012.
- Spoke to the Advanced Trial Practice Class at Villanova Law School on the subject of direct and cross-examination of a witness, February 2, 2012.
- “New Joint and Several Liability Law in Pennsylvania,” presented to the First Judicial District Court, January 26, 2012.
- Course planner and speaker at the Pennsylvania Bar Institute’s 24th Annual Civil Litigation Update, March 2011.
- “The Corporate Witness,” co-presented with Jack Hall at Eckert Seamans’ annual Continuing Legal Education Seminar, August 2009.
- Lectured for: the Defense Research Institute, Philadelphia Bar Association, Pennsylvania Defense Institute, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, The National Judicial College, Pennsylvania State College of Trial Judges, the Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association, as well as numerous medical and other professional or trade associations.
- “FJD Mulls What Injustice Looks Like – And How to Fix It,” quoted, The Legal Intelligencer, October 2011.
- “Doctor liable despite no patient relationship” quoted, American Medical News, August 10, 2009.
- “Paper record system has its own benefits” quoted, Health Risk Management, June 2009.
Back to Top